Rocky Road Marshmallow Rice Treats
We all remember the delicious marshmallow cereal treats of our childhood… honestly they’re still a staple in my household! This recipe, Rocky Road Marshmallow Rice Treats, just takes that to the next level! Chocolatey cereal, nutty pecans, and ooey gooey marshmallows make the perfect dessert bar!
A No Bake Masterpiece
You know when it’s summer and super hot, and the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven?? Yeah, that’s how I feel too! This dessert is perfect because this only requires one pot and it’s all done on the stove!
Plus this only takes like 10 minutes to make so there’s no need to worry about the stovetop heating up the house!
It’s a quick, no bake dessert that’s perfect for those busy summer days where everyone wants to be out at the pool or relaxing away from the sun!
The Opportunities are Endless
The Opportunities Are Endless
If you are looking for a simple foundation that could be made in a million different ways, then look no further!
This dessert has a simple foundation that can be tweaked, changed, modified to To fit whatever your families taste buds are.
The main foundation for this dessert is; marshmallows, butter, cereal. That’s it! Just three ingredients and you can make this into 1 million different possibilities. Are you ready for all the ideas?
So obviously there’s this version, the Rocky Road Marshmallow Treat, where there’s chocolate cereal, marshmallows, and pecans. But you could do a fruity cereal instead of a chocolate cereal, so these can have a more summery-vibe. Or you could do the regular cereal and adding different mix-ins; for example, you could do freeze dried strawberries and white chocolate chips for a play on strawberries and cream marshmallow treats.
Literally just talking about all these ideas makes me want to make all of them because they sound so delicious. I mean, honestly, anything that’s wrapped around butter and marshmallow is going to be delicious so feel free to experiment to your heart’s content!
How to Manage the Stickiness
This is a tough one because all that marshmallow makes for a very sticky mess.
My best advice is finding ways to manage the stickiness. I recommend placing wax paper into the pan that you press these into. I used to use just baking spray but I think they would still end up too sticky and get stuck to the pan. Placing the wax paper down first makes it a ton easier to get the bars out later.
I also recommend keeping non-stick spray with you. If you feel like the spoon is getting too sticky while you’re stirring the marshmallows, you can just lightly spray the spoon to prevent a lot of sticking.
When you’re done with the pot you melted the marshmallows in, I like to immediately put that pan under hot water before the mixture can harden. I let it soak for about 10-15 minutes and then wash it! Usually, after the 15 minutes, all the marshmallow just washes right off!
Rocky Road Marshmallow Bars
- Wax Paper
- Square Pan
- 1 bag Mini Marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 5 cups Chocolate Rice Cereal
- 1/2 cup Pecans finely chopped
- Extra Marshmallows
- Melted Chocolate Chips for drizzle
- Flakey Salt
- Extra Pecans
- Chop up pecans if they are not already chopped.
- Add butter to a large pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
- Once the butter begins to melt, add in 3/4's the bag of marshmallows, reserving the rest for later.
- After the marshmallows are melty, stir in chocolate rice cereal and pecans and the remaining marshmallows.
- Quickly stir together and pour into the square pan that was lined with wax paper.
- Press the mixture down firmly to create extra chewy bars.
- Allow to cool to harden, or you can eat right away.
- If you would like to make these extra fancy, you can add marshmallows and pecans to the top before the mixture hardens! Or you can add a drizzle of melted chocolate to the top followed by some flakey salt!
There you have it! An easy summer dessert that can be made in less than 10 minutes! How awesome is that!?
P.S. Want to get to know me a little bit better? Here’s the link to my whole story and why I love to bake!