Step aside, Store-Bought Powder Mix! This Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix is *SO* easy to make and makes a ton! Perfect for a chilly night by the fire, loaded up with marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate sauce!
Cocoa Powder + Chocolate Chips
Because this is a powder, you might expect to just add cocoa powder and call it a day.
Or you might have seen recipes that just add sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla.
While both might be delicious, my favorite is the perfect combination of chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Let me tell you why.
Chocolate chips obviously have delicious chocolate flavor but they also add sweetness. The chocolate melts into the hot chocolate adding a smooth, creamy texture that we all want from a hot chocolate.
The cocoa powder helps to deepen the chocolate flavor without adding more sweetness to the hot chocolate. Of course, you could always load up on chocolate chips but you run the risk of having an overly sweet hot chocolate which means you can’t add marshmallows or whipped cream. No one wants that.
The balance of cocoa powder with chocolate chips creates a creamy, chocolatey hot chocolate that warms you to your soul.
Toppings, Toppings, and MORE Toppings
The toppings of the hot chocolate have to be my favorite part.
I mean, drinking the hot chocolate is my definite fave, but the toppings bring me so much joy.
I love to add tons of marshmallows on top of my hot chocolate. My favorite part is when they get all melty and delicious in the hot chocolate.
Other toppings would be:
- Whipped Cream
- Sprinkle of Cocoa Powder
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Peppermint Stick
- Cinnamon Stick
- Ice cream (Affogato anyone?)
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
As you can see, this is something that I take very seriously. I believe every hot chocolate should be topped with something!
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Chips – you can use whatever chocolate you like best, just know that you might have to adjust the sugar ratio depending if you use a darker chocolate! I used milk chocolate for mine!
- Cornstarch – I know this is kind of an odd ingredient but this helps the hot chocolate be a little bit more creamy and thick!
- Cinnamon – This part is optional but I think it just adds a little more warmth to the hot chocolate
Tips and Tricks
My biggest tip for this Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix is to go slow when adding in the ingredients. There’s a lot of powders in this recipe that tend to go everywhere when added too quick.
I am definitely speaking from experience here. I think I cocoa powder dust covering 90% of my kitchen.
Because this powder doesn’t include any dried milk, you can use whatever milk you like and this ends up being a dairy-free recipe!
I love being able to have a few jars of hot chocolate mix in my pantry! It’s the perfect thing on a cold night when you just need a little something sweet.
Which is most nights in my household!
P.S. If you’re needing an extra chocolate fix, these Peppermint Bark Cookies would go *great* with hot chocolate
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Food Processor
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- A pinch Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Add powdered sugar and chocolate chips to a food processor.
- Mix on a low speed until the chocolate chips are mostly chopped up.
- Add in cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix everything together until a fine powder is left.
- Place in an airtight container!
- Heat up 1 cup of milk of choice.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons to the bottom of a glass. Then pour milk on top.
- Stir together and serve!
Leave a Reply