Rich, creamy chocolate meets smokey, spiced chipotle in the most delicious Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies you’ve ever had! The chocolate pairs so nicely with the chipotle powder to create a sweet and spicy dessert!
Sweet Meets Smokey
These might just look like innocent little chocolate cookies until you take a bite! The sweet chocolate hits you first, then the smokey spiciness hits you at the end. It’s a wonderfully balanced cookie with a kick!
For the spiciness, there’s a lot of options to choose from: cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, or even chili powder!
I like using chipotle powder because I really like the smokey element to chipotle powder. It helps the cookie have more depth and enhances the rich chocolate flavor. I really like how the spice hits you at the very end, as opposed to other spices that could end up being the first thing you taste.
Adding spice to sweets really requires a balance to make sure that you taste every flavor. If the spice is the first thing you taste, then the chocolate probably won’t come through. You want to choose a spice that won’t overpower the chocolate. After all, this is dessert and we want it to be sweet!
Chipotle powder is made from chipotles (obviously), that are smoked and dried jalapeño pepper. Its perfect for adding that smokey flavor that I love with the chocolate. If you can’t find it, I would use smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. That way you can get the smokey and the spice.
Chocolate to the MAX
Why settle for one chocolate when you can add double chocolate? I like to live my life to the max, which means double chocolate ALWAYS!
This cookie has cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips to really enhance the chocolate flavor of the cookie. While this cookie would be delicious with just cocoa powder, I feel that adding the dark chocolate chips helps balance out the chipotle powder without adding sweetness. Chipotle powder definitely has a strong flavor so in order to properly balance it with the cocoa powder I added dark chocolate chips to enhance the chocolate flavor in the cookies.
If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate, I would recommend adding semi-sweet chocolate chips. Adding milk chocolate or white chocolate chips could make these cookies too sweet. I really like the balance of the sweetness level with the chipotle powder.
This cookie isn’t too sweet which I think plays nicely with the spice. If the cookie was too sweet, or had milk chocolate chips, I’m afraid that would overwhelm the chipotle powder and your tastebuds!
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cinnamon – Adding the cinnamon helps balance out the chipotle powder with the chocolate. Plus chocolate and cinnamon is totally delicious together!
- Chipotle Powder – Adds the perfect smoky spice to these cookies! If you can’t find chipotle powder, you can substitute with smoked paprika and cayenne pepper!
- A Sprinkle of Salt
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Dark Chocolate Chips
Tips and Tricks
If you’re not sure about the spice level, you can definitely add less. I think 1 teaspoon adds the perfect aftertaste of spice without feeling like you need to chug a gallon of milk afterwards! Feel free to add less or more if you’re feeling adventurous!
I like to add a sprinkle of salt because it makes everything better and enhances the sweetness of the chocolate! You can leave that out if you want!
I love these Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies way more than I thought I would! I was a little nervous about the spice but it ends up playing so beautifully with the dark chocolate and creating a really complex cookie!
If you want a dessert with a little extra something-something, I highly recommend trying this one out!
P.S. Need some more chocolate in your life? Try this Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- A Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl,mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside. Add in cinnamon and chipotle powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in one egg at a time, waiting until each egg has been fully incorporated.
- After the eggs have been added in, add in the milk.
- Then, slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Add in dark chocolate chips, stir together.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place dollops of the batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.