The only way to make any cookie better is to make them Browned Butter Cookies instead. Soft, chewy cookies full of rich, caramel-y browned butter makes these cookies absolutely addicting.
Browned Butter Cookies
If you think these are just your average run of the mill cookies, you are about to have your world rocked! Browned butter has to be one of my favorite ingredients! It can seriously take your baking from “just a pretty good cookie” to “HOLY COW that was the best cookie!” It’s all in the browned butter.
Browned butter adds a beautiful richness to these cookies. Think about homemade caramels or caramels from a nice chocolate shop. They have a rich, caramel flavor that is warm, cozy, and a little bit nutty. That same caramel flavor is what you get when you brown butter. Browning butter is technically caramelizing the butter and that’s why they taste so familiar!
Browning butter seems pretty complicated but I promise, once you get the hang of it, you’ll be browning butter all the time! If you want an in-depth dive into browned butter, I have it linked here!
These cookies are a total knockout all by themselves. But since I can’t help myself, let’s talk about some delicious ingredients you can add in!
- Toffee Bits – I like to add these because they add a nice little crunch the cookie!
- Crushed Pecans – Adding pecans plays off that nuttiness from the browned butter and really makes these cookies delicious!
- Caramel Pieces – I don’t really need a reason to add caramel pieces
- Chopped Chocolate – I mean, when does adding chocolate make anything bad!?
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Toffee Bits
Basically this is a browned butter fan account now. If I can, I’m going to squeeze in browned butter to a recipe!
As soon as you taste these cookies, you’ll see why!
Browned Butter Cookies
- 9 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- Soft Caramels optional
- Toffee Pieces optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by browning the butter. Put the butter into a small saucepan on the stove.
- Over medium heat, let the butter begin to melt, stirring occasionally for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once the butter begins to foam on the top, stir constantly under the butter is a golden brown color about 2 minutes. Pour into another dish and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Then in a large bowl, combine browned butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir together.
- Whisk in egg.
- Next, add in flour, baking soda, and baking powder. If you want to add crushed toffee bits, add them now!
- Put the dough in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out a dollop of cookie dough and place on a cookie sheet.
- Then add a few pieces of caramels to the top.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly!
- Serve with a glass of milk and enjoy!