Soft, spongy muffins perfectly flavored with bright, zingy lemon zest and sippy little snap from the poppy seeds! This recipe can be made in less than thirty minutes! If you love lemon, then you are in for a treat with these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins!
Lemon Poppyseed Flavored Everything
I love love love lemon poppyseed.
I know the lemon poppyseed is like the unofficial official flavor of spring and summer but I would eat lemon poppyseed all year long. If I could eat a lemon poppyseed muffin and a pumpkin muffin at the same time my world would be complete. I know those flavors don’t really go together but my loves for muffins knows no bounds!
But my love for lemon does have its limits. I don’t like an artificial lemon (I’m looking at you lemon lollipops). It’s like a tangy, sour flavor that literally stays in my mouth for way longer than it should. But I also don’t like a really acidic lemon flavor either. I wanted the perfect lemon flavor for these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
I like a subtle lemon that just kind of pops in your mouth and doesn’t require heartburn medicine later. So in this recipe I use the zest of four whole lemons; zest every single inch of that lemon. Then just the juice of one lemon. The reason why is because the zest has all of that poppy, zippy lemon flavor but none of that harsh, acidic, punch-you-in-the-heart flavor. By adding the juice from one lemon, it helps enhance the lemon zest. That way you get a really beautiful lemon flavor but that one that isn’t too strong.
The other reason why I like doing this is because the lemon isn’t overpowering so you also get the flavor from the poppyseed. Yes, poppyseed has flavor! It’s a little nutty and gives a beautiful snap and I absolutely love it, even if you need a pack of floss at the ready!
Two Different Cook Times?
So you know when you’re in a bakery and you see those beautifully domed delicious muffins? The two different temperatures helps that happen.
When you start off at a high heat, the leavening agents are activated immediately and shoot up. It causes the muffins to begin to rise early on, instead of halfway through the baking time. Then you can turn down the heat and allow the rest of the of the time for the muffin to finish baking without the edges burning or the muffin becoming dry.
Baking is pretty much the most delicious science you’ll ever meet, especially when it’s the form of a Lemon Poppyseed Muffin!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 1/2 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 Lemons
- 2 tablespoons Poppyseed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by combining your dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) in a bowl and set aside.
- Then, cream together the softened butter and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the eggs, one at a time, waiting for each egg to get fully combined before adding the other.
- Add in vanilla.
- Begin to add in the dry ingredients, alternating with the half cup of milk, into the butter mixture. Mix until almost combined.
- Scoop into pre-lined cupcake molds.
- Put the muffins into the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Then decrease the heat to 375. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean!
- Once cooled slightly, slather with butter and enjoy!!
Minutes From Lemon Poppyseed Deliciousness
I am a muffin lover for life, but these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins hold a special place in my heart! I love the delicate lemon flavor paired with the nutty crunch of the poppyseed. It’s such a beautiful pairing!
P.S. If you’re looking for another delicious muffin recipe, check out these Chocolate Chip Muffins!