Gooey, green marshmallow on top of a soft, chocolate cookie with a few eyeballs sprinkled on top. Can you think of a more deliciously spooky dessert for Halloween than these Gooey Monster Marshmallow Cookies?
Halloween spirit cookies
When it comes to Halloween, I’m a little on the fence with the Halloween food.
Eating eyeballs and witch fingers just kind of freaks me out.
One time, I had this skeleton skull wrapped in “skin” but was actually just prosciutto. The skeleton looked so gross like his skin was actually peeling off that even though I knew it was delicious dried meat, I couldn’t eat it! It freaked me out too much!
So, I try to keep my Halloween themed desserts to a happy medium. Fun and spooky, but not too spooky.
Food coloring or food gel?
There’s two different types of food coloring out there: food coloring and food gel. Food coloring is more liquidy, while food gel is, well, gel.
I prefer to use food gel when I’m coloring my food.
There are two reason behind this:
- Food gel contains less liquid which means I can add more without compromising the consistency of my baked goods.
- Because there’s less liquid, the colors are more vibrant.
If you can only find food coloring, that’s okay to use as well! Just make sure you don’t add too much so the marshmallow fluff doesn’t get too liquidy.
Tips for these Gooey Monster Marshmallow Cookies:
- When adding food coloring/gel to the marshmallow fluff, make sure you don’t add too much and change the consistency.
- If you don’t want the marshmallow to spread too much in the oven, make a deeper well in the cookie dough before adding the marshmallow fluff.
- Add the eyeball sprinkles right as the cookies come out of the oven so they don’t burn while the cookies are baking!
How spectacularly spooky at these cookies?
A little bit of a trick, a whole lotta treat! That’s my kind of Halloween dessert!
Gooey Monster Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- A Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- Green Food Gel
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in one egg at a time, waiting until each egg has been fully incorporated.
- After the eggs have been added in, add in the milk.
- Then, add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir together.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place dollops of the batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about two inches apart.
- In a small bowl, mix together the marshmallow fluff with food coloring. Dollop a little bit of marshmallow fluff on the cookie dough.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Top with a few eyeball sprinkles and enjoy.