Mint and chocolate are a delicious pairing, especially in these Mint Fudge Brownies. Chewy, chocolate brownies with a thick layer of minty buttercream frosting topped with a creamy, fudge layer on top. It’s the perfect dessert for this St. Patrick’s Day! Or every other day of the year! Every day is better with a Mint Fudge Brownie!
Brownies and mint are absolutely delicious together. Let’s be real though, anything goes with a brownie. I don’t think I’ve ever met a brownie that I didn’t like! These Mint Fudge Brownies might just take the cake though!
While this recipe is pretty easy, it does have quite a few steps that do require some chill time. To make things easier, I used a box mix so I could cut down on the dishes and ingredients I needed to use!
I love using store-bought shortcuts like this! It makes baking everything just a touch quicker (and easier) and you get to make these really ingredient dessert!
If you really want to use a homemade brownie recipe, I have a full recipe for fudgy brownies you can use here!
Please note that I just followed the back of the brownie box directions to make the brownies. The box you get at the store might require different increments, but most will typically require some form of eggs, oil, and water! Just check to make sure you’re using the right measurements of everything!
American Buttercream Basics
When it comes to frosting, there’s actually a lot of different types out there. There’s seven different types of buttercream, such as American, Swiss meringue, Italian meringue, French Buttercream, and German buttercream to name a few.
My favorite to make is the traditional American buttercream. It’s definitely one of the easier buttercreams that only requires butter, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. The other buttercreams can sometimes require egg whites and I don’t always feel like dealing with egg whites, you know!?
For my buttercream recipe, I like to mix the powdered sugar and butter together first. Then I add in the heavy cream and extract. Then I like to whip this mixture for about 5-7 minutes. It seems like a long time, but I think this is the key to really creating light and fluffy frosting.
The longer that you mix the buttercream, the more air you are creating in the butter which is how you get light and fluffy buttercream.
If you were going to use your buttercream for piping letters or flowers, you might want a stiffer buttercream that mix less to help create more intricate shapes.
But if you’re just frosting a cake (or brownies in our case), light and fluffy is the way to go!
- Brownie Mix – I like to use a brownie mix to make everything easier, but there’s a ton of delicious brownie recipes out there! I have a Triple Chocolate Brownie recipe that would work perfectly for this too!
- Flavorless Oil
- Mint Extract – I like to add just a few drops of mint extract! You have to be careful to not add too much, just a few drops will work.
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Mint Extract
- Green Food Coloring – this part is totally optional, but I like to add a little bit of green food coloring to let people know that this is a bright, minty buttercream!
Chocolate Fudge Topping:
- Bittersweet Chocolate
Tips and Tricks
One tip to make sure these brownies turn out is to make sure each layer is cool before moving on to the next layer. Especially when you’re working with buttercream, you want to make sure the brownies are cool. If you add the buttercream to the brownies while they’re still hot, the buttercream will actually start to melt. It’s the same when adding the hot chocolate fudge topping. If the topping is too hot, it can melt the buttercream as well.
Make sure each layer is cooled down before adding the next layer!
I like to add a little sprinkle of salt to the top of these brownies to really take them over the edge!
These Mint Fudge Brownies are rich and decadent with the perfect amount of minty flavor! I love the creamy smooth buttercream mixed with the fudgy brownie.
What a lucky flavor combination!
Mint Fudge Brownies
- 1 box Brownie Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Flavorless Oil
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Mint Extract
- 2 sticks Butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Mint Extract
- Green Food Coloring optional
Chocolate Fudge Topping:
- 2 cups Bittersweet Chocolate
- 10 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Following the directions on the back of the brownie mix, combing eggs, oil, and water. Add in mint extract and stir together.
- Bake in a square pan for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely and make the buttercream frosting.
Making the Buttercream:
- Cream together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in heavy cream, mint extract, and food coloring. Whip together for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add buttercream to the top of the cooled brownies.
Making the Fudge Topping:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add in bittersweet chocolate and butter.
- Melt in 30-second increments until fully melted.
- Stir in salt and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture on top of the mint buttercream and let harden.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle a little salt on top!
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply