Another cake mix short-cut recipe is here and these Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies are ready to party! Carrot cake mix turned into soft, spongy cake cookies that are even more delicious with a large dollop of cream cheese frosting in the middle! Who said carrot cake was boring!?!
What even are Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies!?
Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies are basically the best version of carrot cake that you’ve ever had.
I have to be honest when I say that carrot cake is definitely not my number one cake pick, it really never has been. I think what really did carrot cake in for me was trying it as a child and realizing there were pesky raisins hiding in it.
No worries, though because there are no raisins to be found in this recipe!
This recipe starts off with a boxed cake mix and, if you haven’t discovered my love for boxed cake, please proceed to the next section. Box cake mix is a *fantastic* shortcut that you should always keep in your pantry! You can use it to make a million different things! I used carrot cake mmix, but if you can’t find it, you can just a spice cake mix and then add in some carrots!
Starting off with a base that’s full of flavor and warmth is a great start and these cake cookies end up so soft, moist and full of flavor. Then I make a simple cream cheese buttercream that’s the perfect balance of sweetness. I pipe a large dollop on the bottom of one cookie and sandwich them together.
It’s the perfect excuse to eat two cookies at once and get a ton of delicious cream cheese frosting in the mix!
Cake Mix Shortcuts
Boxed cake mix has to be my newfound love language. For starters, I’ve always been impressed by the quality of boxed cake mix. I think the cake turns out pretty good!
However, what really does it for me is how many different things you can make from cake mix. If you think about it, most baked goods are a combination of flour, sugar, leavening agent, and fat. Cake mix already has three out of the four ingredients which make it’s an incredibly easy shortcut! Instead of grabbing three different ingredients, you just grab the cake mix.
Depending on how you manipulate the fat content with the liquid ratio depends on what you can make!
You can make whoopie pies like these Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies by adding some eggs, oil, and water.
Or you could end up making these delicious Cookies N Cream Cake Mix Cookies. The cookie is so soft and delicious while still getting those crispy edges we love.
Or by adding a little bit more eggs and water, you could end up with these Cake Mix Red Velvet Pancakes. Soft and spongy, it’s basically like having cake for breakfast!
Have I convinced you of the amazingness of boxed cake mix yet!?! If not, just give those recipes a try and let them speak for themselves!
There’s a lot of ways to get this delicious cream cheese frosting in the middle of these Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies.
Depending on how rustic you want these to be, you can do a few different techniques.
- Use a Piping Bag – I like to add my buttercream to a large piping bag and snip an inch off the bottom, so you have a large hole. Then I begin to pipe in the middle of the whoopie pie and gently swirl out. Then I press the top cookie down so the frosting just comes to the edge! I think this creates a very clean look with crisp edges. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could use a star tip in your piping to create pretty swirls.
- Use a Knife – If you don’t have a piping bag/plastic baggie, or you don’t mind a rustic approach, you can use a knife or the back of a spoon to spread the frosting out. I would get a good scoop of frosting on the cookie, then smear it around until it’s about a quarter of an inch from the edge. Then place the top cookie on and press gently. The frosting won’t have as clean of a finished look, but will still taste absolutely delicious.
- Flavorless Oil
- Carrot Cake Mix
Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
Just a few ingredients away from carrot cake deliciousness! I love the softness of these whoopie pies with the tangy sweet buttercream in the middle.
If you think you know carrot cake, I highly suggest you try again with these Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies!
Cake-Mix Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Flavorless Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 box Carrot Cake Mix
Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- 1 stick Butter room temperature
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together eggs, oil, and water.
- Once everything is mixed together, add in cake mix.
- Scoop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While the cookies cool, make the buttercream.
Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Once whipped together slowly add in heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on slow, slowly drizzle in the white chocolate.
- Pour buttercream into a large piping bag and pipe a large dollop on one of the carrot cake cookies.
- Take another cookie and press down gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply