A soft, chocolatey cake-like cookie with a dollop of Nutella swirled on top! Don’t forget the flakey sea salt sprinkled on top that makes these Nutella Swirl Cookies the most delicious chocolate cookie you’ve had!
Chocolate plus Nutella equals heaven
I would literally eat Nutella straight from the jar, who’s with me?
But to make a good ingredient better, swirling it into this chocolate cookie makes it ten times better! The soft spongy cookie just soaks up all the delicious flavor from the Nutella to make a really rich chocolate cookie. I love how the nuttiness of Nutella shines through, especially with the sprinkle of salt on the top!
Flakey salt for life
If you know me (or any of my recipes) then you should know that flakey salt is basically a core ingredient in all my recipes.
I know for a baking blogger that sounds kind of odd. Like, shouldn’t sugar be a core ingredient? Sugar, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, all of the sugars are found in my pantry, I can assure you. But, to really enhance and brighten that sweetness, you need the salt. The salt doesn’t make this a savory cookie, it allows the cookie to be the right amount of sweetness. Have you ever had a cupcake or a slice of cake or a truffle, and you just feel like you need to brush your teeth after because it was just so sweet? Adding that little hit of salt helps reduce that sweetness so you end up with a perfect balance of sweet.
Tips for these Nutella Swirl Cookies
- If you’re going to make a double batch (because they’re just that good), I recommend making two separate batches. I have tried to make a double batch before and it just ends up being too thick.
- When you’re adding the swirls on the top, you can use a knife, toothpick, or chopstick!
- If you’re on the fence about the salt or you can’t find it, you can just leave it off!
- Because they are a cake-cookie, store these in an airtight container and they will last about 4-5 days!
Nutella Swirl Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- A Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- A Pinch of Flakey Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl,mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in one egg at a time, waiting until each egg has been fully incorporated.
- After the eggs have been added in, add in the milk.
- Then, slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place dollops of the batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about two inches apart.
- Take a little spoonful of nutella and place in the middle of the cookie dough. Use a knife to swirl the nutella around.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Top with a sprinkle of flakey salt.
Pretty good stuff, right?
I love how soft and moist these cookies are with the nuttiness of the Nutella. Seriously, I couldn’t put these cookies down!
P.S. Looking for more? Try these delicious S’mores Cookies!